Monday, July 14, 2008

More Jam!

Friday started off a little slow, I’ve been having a few issues with my right hip, not certain if it’s related to my back (nerves) or I’ve overdone it riding the big ring on my bike. Regardless, I sipped some coffee, too a shower, read a little, then we packed up and headed into trendy Collingswood for lunch at a Cuban restaurant. The food was good, although we need to stop ordering appetizers, as we get so loaded up we can’t see to stuff in the entrée.

Friday night was a return to the waterfront for what I thought would be my most enjoyable evening. And I wasn’t disappointed. Reminding me a lot of Jonatha Brooke, Dar Williams opened the show with some nice acoustic folk. A gifted storyteller, she held the crowd (mostly female) in her grasp.

We ventured over to the side stage for Jim Bianco and his unique brand of Brooklyn Americana. His set was a unexpected treat. I’d like to see him again.

The showstopper for me, was Chuck Profit . Chuck is a gruff, in your face kind of singer songwriter, and his work is always just a little left of politically correct. His groveled voice reminds me a little of Leonard Cohen. The crowd went wild for Profit and his tight band and David Dye nominated them for the set of the festival ranking. Catch his show, you won’t be disappointed.

Next up was Alejandro Escovedo. His six piece band included violin and cello. His latest album Real Animal was co-written with Chuck Profit who joined his band onstage for a tune or two. Alejandro has made quite a comeback from hepatitis C that he contracted some time back. And the world is better for his return to health. His band really rocked the place and for all intents and purposes, the show should have come to an end there. But headlining was Beth Orton. I love her work, but whoever put Beth on following these two hot rods should have had their head examined.

No comments: